Provost Umphrey attorneys Colin Moore and Ronnie Turner, Jr. have been elected to leadership positions for the Jefferson County Bar Association (JCBA) and the Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association (JCYLA), respectively. Moore is serving his second year as a Director for JCBA, and Turner will serve as Vice President of JCYLA.
Turner was elected to his position on Law Day 2016. Law Day is held on the first Friday in May every year to celebrate the role of law in our society and to cultivate a deeper understanding of the legal profession. The theme of Law Day 2016 was Miranda: More Than Words, in honor of the 50th anniversary of Miranda v. Arizona, perhaps the most well-known U.S. Supreme Court case.
Both the JCBA and JCYLA serve as valuable resources to local practitioners and the community. The organizations are dedicated to their members and increasing community understanding and appreciation of the legal system.
The JCBA has many notable initiatives in the community, including but not limited to:
1. Veteran's Initiative - lawyers helping veterans with their legal needs;
2. Evelyn M. Lord Teen Court - helping first time juvenile defenders find a better path;
3. National Adoption Day - Lawyers volunteering time and skills to help children get adopted by their forever families;
4. Civics Education in Local Schools - Lawyers teaching children about the Constitution;
5. Pro Bono - lawyers volunteering their time and expertise to help those in our community that cannot afford legal representation;
6. Scholarships - providing scholarships to deserving area young people.
“I am proud to be part of an organization that helps better the Southeast Texas community. The Jefferson County Bar Association connects people with the legal community through valuable services and learning opportunities, usually at little to no cost for the public,” says Colin Moore.
To learn more about the JCBA and the JCYLA, visit their website at www.jcba.org.