Hurricane season lasts from June through the end of November. In our experience, it’s best to review your insurance policy and know your rights before a storm hits. That way, if you have to make a claim for property damage, you’ll be better prepared.
We’ve come up with short list of easy, but helpful tips to keep in mind as we enter the hurricane season:
- Read your insurance policy and make sure you understand it
- Keep copies of all your documents and takes notes of calls with your insurance company; make sure you date your conversations
- When you file a claim, send a written notice to your insurance company via email or letter
- Don’t make any repairs until the adjuster has completed the inspection
- Make any claim directly with your insurance company and demand a confirmation number for your claim
It’s important to understand your insurance policy so that you are well-informed of your rights. If you do find yourself in a disagreement with your insurance carrier, our attorneys have experience with casualty insurance coverage, and we have handled insurance disputes for property owners for the last 50 years.
Click here for more information on insurance disputes.