Matthew C. Matheny handles personal injury cases with Provost Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont. He has handled a wide range of matters including industrial explosion accidents; automobile accidents; wrongful death; maritime and offshore accidents, railroad crossing accidents, aviation accidents; environmental contamination; chemical exposure; Federal Employers' Liability Act; Fair Labor Standards Act-Overtime Wage claims; Deceptive Trade Practices, Bad Faith Insurance Claims and mass/class actions.
He has worked with clients in Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, California, New York, Washington and the District of Columbia. Currently, Matheny is serving as lead counsel in the NFL Concussion Litigation on behalf of Provost Umphrey.
Board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Matheny is admitted to practice law in Texas and Pennsylvania; and before the U.S. Court of Appeal, 5th Circuit Court; the U.S. Court of Federal Claims; and the U.S. District Courts - Eastern, Northern and Southern District of Texas; and Western District of Michigan.
A Texas Rising Star, an honor given to the state's top up-and-coming attorneys by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers, Matheny shares the title with no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state. Matheny has been named a Rising Star in 2010, 2012-2015.
Mr. Matheny has been a Texas Super Lawyer and named to Best Lawyers in America from 2015 to present. He was also named Southeast Texas Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America®, US News, 2018.
Matheny has also received the AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards.
In 2015, Mr. Matheny was honored as the Baylor Law School Young Lawyer of the Year.
He graduated from the Baylor University School of Law in Waco, Texas and received his undergraduate degree in History from Rhodes College in Memphis Tennessee.
Matheny has volunteered with student mock trial and teen court programs, orphaned and abused children's groups, nature conservancy organizations, and actively supports civic activities in southeast Texas and Lamar University.
Becca Oberg, 409-838-8826, firstname.lastname@example.org
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA)
- Maritime and Offshore Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Railroad Crossing Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Environmental Contamination
- Automobile Accidents
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)-Overtime Wage Claims
- Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) and Bad Faith Insurance Claims
- Industrial Explosions/Accidents
- Chemical Exposures
- Class Action/Mass Litigation
- Mediation - Click here to view the mediation fee schedule
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified: Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 2003
- Pennsylvania, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- Rhodes College, Memphis, Tennessee
- University of Texas School of Law, Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution Center Mediator Training, 2016
Honors and Awards
- Southeast Texas Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America®, US News, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, US News, 2015 - 2020
- 2015 Baylor Young Lawyer of the Year
- Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business: 2015 - 2019
- Texas Rising Stars, a Thomson Reuters Business: 2010, 2012 - 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2013 - Present
- Houston's Top Lawyers, Personal Injury, H Texas Magazine, 2013 - 2015
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2015
- Top 40 Under 40, Beaumont Enterprise, 2014
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40, 2014
- America's Most Honored Professionals, The American Registry, 2014
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Jefferson County Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- The American Association for Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyer's Association
- Texas Trial Lawyer's Association Board of Directors, 2013 - 2016
- Texas Trial Lawyers Advocates Board of Directors, 2009 - 2012
- Southeast Texas Trial Lawyers, Secretary/Treasurer, 2007 - 2010
Past Employment Positions
- William Underwood, the Leon Jaworski Professor of Practice and Procedure, Baylor Law School, Teaching and Research Assistant
Matheny served as the coach for the Kelly High School Mock Trial Team for five years. He has served as the President of the Beaumont Area Ducks Unlimited Committee and served as a volunteer judge for the Evelyn Lord Teen Court Program.
Matheny has lectured to area students in connection with the Constitution Day educational effort. He has given Continuing Legal Education lectures for the Jefferson County Bar Association, The State Bar of Texas, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Texas Alliance of Paralegal Associations and Continuing Medical Education lectures for the Alzheimer’s Association. Matheny has been a guest lecturer for Lamar University and the Texas Lyceum.
On weekends in the fall, Matheny has served as a guide in the Texas Hill Country for Operation Orphan, a nonprofit organization that provides outdoor activities to orphaned and abused children. He is an active participant in Southeast Texas civic events and charities including Calder Baptist Church, Some Other Place, the Shorkey Center, The Neches River Festival, The Julie Rogers Gift of Life Program and played the role of Santa Claus at the Junior League Beaumont’s Main Street Market. Matheny has lectured at the Lamar University’s College of Nursing and is active supporter of Lamar University athletics and is a member of the Cardinal Club. Matheny currently sits on the board of directors for Beaumont Mainstreet.